Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Yay Minnesota...

I spent the weekend up at my parent’s house in Holyoke (near Duluth). We decided Friday night to drive up Saturday morning; we needed to get some dad help for our car. When I called my mom to see if that would be okay she reminded me of the pending Saturday/Sunday snowstorm that we should be expecting. I just shrugged and told her that we hear stuff like that all the time in MN and it a lot of the time it doesn’t really mean anything.

Well, on Sunday afternoon, during the busiest shopping season of the year and in an economy that is in financial crisis, the Miller Hill Mall in Duluth closed for the day because of the storm. Several other businesses followed suit, including the public transportation system. I guess the bus driver’s couldn’t see where they were going. We were officially snowed in. It has actually been awhile since I have truly been snowed in. We decided to try to leave Monday morning instead of the original plan of Sunday night. My parents live on a dirt road that is definitely not the first road to get plowed and, after struggling for 20 minutes just to get the car started, we pulled out of the driveway. As we struggled to make it up the first slight incline Steve was pretty sure that we were not going to make it. We were plowing snow with the front of our car and trying to follow the tracks made by no more than two or three other vehicles. Thankfully we got out, though the whole two hour drive back to Minneapolis was pretty stressful. Yay Minneasota.

No comments: