Friday, December 12, 2008

Things that remind me of my childhood Christmases

•Brach’s Milk Maid Royals caramel candies
•Green and red jelly wreath candies hung on the tree
•Rudolph the Red Nosed Raindeer movie on TV
•Red and green patchwork quilted tree skirts that my mom hand-made
•My mom and dad bringing us to the Fleet Farm Toyland so they could figure out what we wanted for presents
•Looking through the huge JCPenny’s toy catalogue and picking out toys
•German hazelnut cookies with strawberry jam filling
•Filling our toy tractors and wagons with needles that had fallen off our dying Christmas tree and pretending it was the grain/hay/silage to feed our toy animals
•Snow
•Cutting down real Christmas trees out in the forest, occasionally being scared of getting chased by cows while completing said task
•Going to the mall to sit on Santa’s lap to make sure he knew what I wanted for Christmas
•Putting out my boot on St. Nick’s Day so that Santa could come and fill it up with candy and a new ornament to hang on the tree
•The smell of oranges (as there was usually one in my boot)
•Santa shaped trays filled with candy on Christmas morning
•Always wanting to go to Oma and Opa’s house for Christmas Eve (we traded with Grandma and Grandpa’s every year) because Santa actually came to Oma and Opa’s on Christmas Eve. He didn’t always make it to Grandma and Grandpa’s house
•Putting on a nativity play with all the cousins at Grandma and Grandpa’s on Christmas Eve
•Ritz crackers with peanut butter in the middle and then dipped in chocolate, and only at Grandma’s house
•Taking turns lighting Advent candles with my brothers and sisters
•Christmas countdown calendars where we would open a little door everyday and look at the different pictures that were inside
•Making red and green construction paper chains to hang on the tree
•Making a village with all of the little houses and people that my mom would get every year, and getting my mom new houses so that we could add to the village
•Playing with the Nativity set, my favorites were baby Jesus, Mary, and the angels

No comments: