Tuesday, November 24, 2009

T-day, 33 hours and counting

Goodness, it almost seems as if I have forgotten how to blog!! I was doing pretty well, then November hit. It's almost like November 1 comes and life feels automatically 5x's busier! This last weekend I was in Brainerd hosting a baby shower for my sister - who, as I have mentioned, is bringing my first niece into this world. I think I also mentioned that I was very excited about that, still am :)

But what has kept me even busier than the preparation for a baby shower is that Steve and I have been preparing for the holidays, especially Thanksgiving. See, Steve and I stay here for Thanksgiving. We don't go anywhere, see any family, and this is our choice. It started one year when I had to work the day before and the day after Thanksgiving...like my boss literally would not give me either of those days off. Only a certain number of people could be gone at one time and I was one of the newest employees, stupid company. Ahem. Anyway, instead of driving 4 hours in one day just to go eat a meal with people, we decided to stay home and make our own Thanksgiving dinner. That year we made ham because we were too scared to make a turkey and we had a really great time. We decided staying home for Thanksgiving was fun and have done it almost every year since.

Two years ago I realized that a turkey did not cost $50, as I always thought it had, and decided to give it a shot. I figured if I ruined $10 and Steve, Tryn, and I were the only ones to suffer that it wouldn't be so bad. We also bought some ham for a backup. I had no idea how to cook a turkey, but this is why I love the internet. I typed in something really brilliant like "how to cook a turkey" into Google and was rewarded with hundreds of recipes. After reading maybe 10 I just picked one. Oh, it was so yummy. It turned out perfectly. It actually tasted so much better than I ever remember turkey tasting. I don't know if that is because we made it or because our recipe was just that good, but mmmmm. Delish. Steve and I have made it three times since with the same results, so I think there might be something to be said for the recipe.

Anyway, this is the first year that we are also having friends over for Thanksgiving and are hosting the big old turkey day like real adults! (Seriously, by the way, what is up with all the adult-ish-ness in my life lately?!) We are totally excited and just got back from our grocery-shopping-for-thanksgiving-day-trip. Ugh. It will be worth it though, and I, of course, will post pictures :)

2 comments:

David James Stewart said...

Ummm, don't know how to break this to ya, but you are an adult.

David James Stewart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.