Sunday, October 16, 2011

Best Banana Bread Ever

I have to post this recipe to my blog because every time I want to make it I have to search for a few different recipes to get all the "restructions" as Berlin calls them. So, I am just writing this down because it's faster than writing out all the restructions by hand. PLUS, you should try this recipe. I am not kidding - best banana bread ever.

I took some ingredients from a few different recipes and made this up myself, so really this could be called Heidi's Best Banana Bread Ever, although I didn't totally make it up myself - I never would have thought to add the secretly weird secret ingredient. :)

Here goes:

1 stick of butter
1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 tablespoons mayonnaise (secretly weird secret ingredient!)
4-5 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4-1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg, depending on how much you like the taste :)
1 cup 60% cacao Ghirardelli chocolate chips (the only kind you should ever use, ever.)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition. Stir in the mayonnaise, bananas, and vanilla. Stir together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and nutmeg. Blend the flour mixture into the banana mixture; stir just enough to evenly combine. Fold in the chocolate chips
.
Bake at 350 degrees F until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, about 50 to 75 minutes.

Try it. Seriously.

1 comment:

Sara said...

So... maybe you want to bring some of this for the band tonight? Maybe??? 'Cause that would be a really great idea...