Saturday, January 29, 2011

Darn School

Tryn talks about going to school ALL the time. Not kidding. It's rare for a day to go by where she doesn't mention starting school in some fashion or form. I don't know where she got the idea into her head that school was going to be some fabulous thing, but she is convinced that it's going to be awesome.

I, on the other hand, am not wishing for September to come anytime soon. I am partially not excited about it because once Tryn starts going to school this fall to the time this baby, who is kicking my stomach as I write this, finishes school it's going to be a good 20 years of "school life" in our household. That makes me feel tired. I like the simplicity of life right now. The girls play together all day. There is no homework. No after school sports, practice, plays, and the like to fit into our schedule. There is no school yard drama to deal with, or the latest fashions to keep up with.

The other part of me that is not excited is the part that doesn't want Tryn to be old enough to go to school. I am going to be a wreck on her first day of kindergarten. She is too small to go to school! She just is. She will always be too small to go to school, even when she's 15. The end.

However...there is always a however. Yesterday we were driving in the car and Tryn, who had been staring out the window, asked me, "Mom, where is the corner of the world?"

I told her that the world was round that there weren't really any corners. It was like a big ball, which doesn't have corners.

Then she asked, "Mom, how is the world strong enough?"

"Strong enough for what babe?"

"Strong enough to hold all of us. All of us people. There are a lot of people."

It's those moments when I can't wait for school. I mean, I know how to answer that question if I am answering it for an adult, but I have no idea how to explain the idea of the world and gravity, etc., etc., to a 4 year old! I don't even remember thinking about stuff like that until I was 8 or 9 years old!

She also puts letter magnets together on the fridge all the time and asks me what word she spelled. Most of the times it's letters like X, K, Z, M, and P all in a row and they don't spell anything. But this morning I told her to spell the word "bed" and she did! I helped her sound it out, but she figured it out all by herself. I am super excited for her to learn how to read and understand the concept of letters and words because I think she is going to love to read. And she will love to to just "get it" and understand. She is getting really close, but I don't know how to help her any farther than I have. I am just not a teacher.

Today I lovehate school.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Trent just figured it out, I mean REALLY figured it out! As of a few months ago (girls tend to be faster and he had a few things to work out like I did when I was a kid like getting a lot of stuff backward) and anyway it's SO FUN to see him just take off. Now he is reading EVERYTHING and I have to be careful what he sees. Like reading the word SEX and asking me what that means if front of other people, oh happy day, LOL You are going to LOVE it. I do miss my baby Trent from long long ago but I would not want it any different. I know you know what I mean. -Amy

Stephanie @ dirtandlace.com said...

I know exactly how you feel. I'm registering Summer for kindergarten next month and feel so overwhelmed by it all... there is just no way she is old enough to be going to school!