Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Other Half

I used to run. Well, I ran a lot for a year. And then I stopped, quite abruptly. Instead, I started growing a child. :) I didn't actually stop running immediately. In fact, the day I found out I was pregnant I ran 9 miles. During the 9 miles I tried to figure out a really creative way to tell Steve that our third child was on the way. Nine whole miles and I didn't come up with a thing. I guess I am not super creative. I came home and said, "Well, that was the first 9 miles I ran as pregnant person." Shocked him a little I think. :)

Two weeks after I found out I was pregnant I ran 13.1 miles. I wrote about the first half marathon that I ran in August, but I didn't write about this one because we weren't ready to tell everyone we were pregnant...partially because of the race. So, a little update about the Monster Dash Half Marathon that I ran on October 30th.

Running 13.1 miles 6 weeks pregnant was...hard. Nothing but hard. I honestly would not have made it, at least not have run the entire race without walking, if not for these two:




Even though Steve could have finished the race must faster than my sister Kristy and me, as evidenced by the fact that he passed us up and ran ahead of us for several miles, he decided to fall back and stick with me through the end of the race. I really don't think I could have done it without them. Kristy kept me going through the middle of the race, and Steve dragged me through the end.

If you read the story about my first run you might remember that I said that the end of the race wasn't very euphoric for me. Neither was this one, but it was a lot more emotional. It was so hard that I really couldn't believe I made it. Anyone who has been pregnant before can probably remember how tired they were during the first trimester. It sort of felt like I hadn't slept for a couple of days and then went and tried to run 13.1 miles. I actually cried at the end I was so happy that I made it.

And here we are, 11 weeks later, almost halfway through, two weeks from finding out if this baby is a boy or a girl, and I have only run one time since October 30th. I was too tired and felt too sick for a good 6 weeks or so, and so now I just haven't.

Trynica and Berlin really want it to be a girl. As I mentioned on Facebook, Tryn said, "I don't want a boy who shows his boogers and does yucky boy stuff. If it's a boy, me and Berlin will have to teach him how to do princess things." And she totally will. Poor kid wouldn't stand a chance. Steve and I don't care if it's a boy or a girl, we would be totally happy with either. We have reasons for wanting both and I don't think any reason outweighs another. We are just excited to welcome our last baby into this world. I am also a little excited to get back to running after the baby comes, I kind of miss it. When New Year's rolled around this year I laughed to myself because I was thinking about how I could make a goal to gain weight instead of lose it, seeing as how I will only be gaining for the next 5 months or so. I wonder how many people have ever done that for New Year's :)

Can't wait for June to come!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't wait to hear if it's a boy or girl!! FUN! Good job sticking to your commitment even though you did not feel like it.

Erin Bennett said...

I have thought that both New Year's that I've been pregnant. It's so refreshing to not have to think about having a weight loss resolution. :)

Alissa said...

Heidi!!! I'm SO excited for you & Steve! Kim just told me to look at your blog, I had no idea. YAY! Looking forward to another great name to match another great kid!