Tuesday, December 8, 2009

First Appeal

I made this really great dinner last night. I can’t take any credit for it, I got it out of a Real Simple magazine. It’s healthy and easy, which is the best!! In fact, it’s so easy that I can give you the recipe right now!

You need two sweet potatoes, cut up into long thin-ish wedges (about half an inch to an inch thick). This is the hardest part of the making the meal. Sweet potatoes are so hard to cut!! I feared for my fingers at one point. Anyway, cut up them up and put them in a roasting pan. Then cut up one purple/red onion into larger wedges and add them to the pan. Toss these with a couple tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, fresh or dried Thyme (I used dried because I am not cool enough to always have fresh on hand), and a little salt and pepper. Make sure to use enough EVOO that all the potatoes get some, otherwise the outsides will be dry and not as yummy. Now, the original recipe says to cut up a whole small chicken. No. Don’t have time. Instead, I just used some chicken legs. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper and put them on top of the sweet potato and onion mix. Put it in the oven and bake at 400 degrees for 40-50 minutes. Voila! Done and so, so yummy.

I love this meal, probably more than anyone in my family. The girls love the chicken, but not the veggies, Steve likes the veggies, but not oven baked chicken so much. I love the whole thing. Anyway, the point…

As I was cutting up dinner Tryn starting whining, “Mom, I don’t want to eat sweet potatoes! I don’t like sweet potatoes! I don’t want to eat them.”

I turned to her and said, very sternly, “Trynica, that is not a nice thing to say. You are not allowed to talk that way about the dinners that mommy makes for you. You don’t have to like everything, but you are not allowed to whine and you are not allowed to say that you don’t like it before you have even taken a bite.”

She was really quiet for two whole minutes.

Then, in a way that I swear I didn’t figure out until I was 16 years old, she made an appeal. This was the very next thing she said to me, in a very calm and non-whiny voice, “Well, Mom, do you think that maybe I could not eat the sweet potatoes? Like maybe I could only eat this many bites?” she held up four fingers.

So I negotiated. She took six bites.

She would make a good lawyer.

2 comments:

Kristina said...

lol! She is too smart for her own good :)

Kristina said...

Just wanted to let you know... I tried this meal tonight. Super yummy, thanks for sharing the recipe :) I'm always looking for something easy and healthy. Definitely a keeper for us, Andy liked it too!