Friday, July 24, 2009

Thankful

I went to an infant’s funeral last night. Sad, sad times. The little boy, Skylar, was born with a cyst on his brain and only lived for a week. The parents had actually known since the 20 week ultrasound about the cyst. They were told many things ranging from he won’t survive the entire pregnancy to he could be born in complete health. Well, he was not. He was their first baby and he lay in a little white basket that was smaller than my laundry baskets, while pictures of him yawning, sleeping, and breathing flashed overheard.

After the funeral the dad, who is a musician friend of Steve’s, came up to me and said, “How are your girls doing?”

I didn't know what to say. What could I say? I managed to choke out, “Oh, they are fine,” without bursting into tears. All I could think was, they are great. They are healthy, they are fine, they are alive.

I am so thankful for my beautiful, healthy, spirited, funny, happy, content, alive baby girls. I am so blessed to have them and so very, very thankful for them today.

4 comments:

lhassler said...

We recently had friends go through a similar situation. Their seriously brain-damaged daughter lived 99 days. I can't imagine doing anything to respond but crying and holding my little ones close.

omabear said...

Everything we have is a Blessing from the Lord. Thank Him Always :) The Lord gives and the Lord takes, may the NAME of the LORD be PRAISED.
We may never understand the WHY? But somewhere, someone will be touched. It seems like in the sad times we often learn the most.
My HEART cries for the parents. BLESS THEM ABBA :)

Trish said...

oh gosh.. can i just second everything already said? so heartbreaking..

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing that, it makes laundry seem a little more important, it means that I have healthy kids that played in dirt and need clean cloths to do it again. Thank God for that.